Adoption of Apache Pulsar is accelerating as organizations around the world pursue cloud-native technologies. To build on this momentum, StreamNative is excited to announce the first-ever Apache Pulsar Hackathon 2021, taking place on May 6-7th. This event will give you an opportunity to:
- Engage and grow with the Pulsar community
- Generate ideas to enhance Pulsar and its ecosystem
- Drive contributions as part of a diverse group of developers and data architects
Apache Pulsar is quickly becoming one of the most adopted platforms for companies looking to develop real-time data messaging and streaming applications. As a result, the community has seen an increase in engagement and currently boasts:
- 370+ Pulsar Contributors (with 150+ new contributors in 2020 alone)
- 7,400+ Github Stars
- 2,600+ Pulsar Slack Members
- 80 speakers and 1,600 registrations across 2 Apache Pulsar global conferences in 2020
At the Pulsar Hackathon you will meet other Pulsar enthusiasts and get involved in a rapidly growing technology. And did we mention cash prizes up to $5,000? Whether you’re a Pulsar newbie or expert, join us and showcase your creativity and skills.
Pulsar Hackathon Judges
We have an amazing list of judges on board and by participating you will have a chance to interact with these judges. The panel includes:
- Sijie Guo, Apache Pulsar PMC Member and CEO of StreamNative
- Matteo Merli, Apache Pulsar PMC Member and Sr. Principal Software Engineer at Splunk
- Jerry Peng, Apache Pulsar PMC Member and Principal Software Engineer at Splunk
- Arvid Heise, Senior Engineer at Ververica
- Ricardo Ferreira, Principal Developer Advocate at Elastic
- Addison Higham, Chief Architect at StreamNative
Winners will be announced live at the Pulsar Virtual Summit North America 2021, taking place on June 16-17. You can find more details on the Pulsar Hackathon below.
Hackathon Timeline (All times listed in PST):
- April 28, 2021 - Registration Deadline
- May 6-7, 2021 - Hackathon
- May 6, 9:00 AM - Virtual Live Kick Off
- May 6, 9:15 AM - 10 PM - Hacking Time
- May 7, 9:00 AM - 10 PM - Hacking Time
- May 7, 11:59 PM - Video Submission Deadline
- June 16-17, 2021 - Winners Announced at the Pulsar Summit North America 2021
To help inspire you, we’ve created five categories for this year’s hackathon:
- Pulsar Enhancement: adding new features, improving performance, etc.
- Pulsar + Big Data Ecosystem Integration: integrating Pulsar with other influential data systems for easy usage
- Pulsar + Flink Solution: developing end-to-end general data processing solutions based on Pulsar and Apache Flink
- Pulsar + Cloud: enabling Pulsar to run on cloud environments easily and seamlessly
- BookKeeper Enhancement: adding new features, improving performance, etc.
- First-place: $5,000
- Second-place: $2,500
- Third-place: $1,000
- All participants: Pulsar and StreamNative swag
How to Participate:
- Sign up! We encourage teams up to four people. If you already have the team you will be working with and your idea, you can sign up here.
- If you are looking for teammates, ideas, or just to connect with the community, we encourage you to join Apache Pulsar on Slack (designated hackathon channel: #pulsar-hackathon-2021).
- Additionally, we will be hosting a special “Office Hours” for Pulsar Hackathon participants with StreamNative’s Chief Architect Addision Higham on April 21, 12:00pm PT. You can sign up for Office Hours here.
- You and your team will need to submit a pre-recorded video demo of your project by 11:59 PM, PST on May 7th. The max video length is ten minutes.
- Note: You cannot use pre-existing code but you can connect to pre-existing code and build new stuff on top of existing functionality.
- You will be judged on three criteria: (1) Innovation (2) Utility / Applicability (3) Difficulty
Want to polish your Pulsar skills? We have resources to help you ramp up:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.