We are excited to share that Apache Pulsar 2.8.0 was released in June. This release was a major milestone for the Pulsar community, with lots of great upgrades and enhancements, such as transaction API, Broker Entry Metadata, New protobuf Code Generator, and more! You can see the details from the Pulsar official website blog.
To celebrate, we decided to organize a release party that would take place across a number of different cities. The 2.8.0 party is a great way to raise Pulsar awareness in your local area and provide an opportunity for Pulsar users and developers to come together as a community.
How it works
There is no rigid format, it can be virtual or in-person, depending on local guidelines. Also, it can cover your local city, or just your companies, teams, and friends.
We have some helpful guidelines to help you organize a successful party:
- Organizers: We recommend you gather a group of organizers who can work together to plan each party. If you can, find a few friends to help you. Only you? It is possible to have a single organizer but we’ve found that having a few organizers can really help promote event success. It will also make planning much more fun!
- Time & Date: When will the party be? If you want to organize the release party in your teams or companies, office hours will be ok for the participants. If you want to cover your local city, the weekend time would be better. Just pick the best time & date for your case.
- In-person or Virtual: If in-person, you should take the first choice to have one place for free and take the event scale into consideration. No matter what it is, you should create one event in meetup.com or Zoom, Google Chat, or another platform.
- Programming: Generally, it is good to have some talks or Demos on Pulsar at the release party. You can decide the sessions, but make sure they are around Pulsar. If you need to invite Pulsar experts to have a talk, Pulsar contributors, committers and PMC members will be one of the best choices. We can help you invite them too.
- Promote it: after all the things have been done, you should let more local people know about this party. You can write blog posts or microblogs, send your email to the mailing list or your target people, post the news in related slack channels… Also, let us know your event details and we will promote it via our channels as well. We also will provide the necessary design assets which you can customize.
We would like to ask you to write one event report to let us know the success of your party, and share the screenshots or recording videos if virtual or photos if in-person.
How about this? If you want to organize one Apache Pulsar Release Party, then welcome to submit your application.
If you have any good ideas or suggestions, feel free to let us know. Let’s make Apache Pulsar great!
About Apache Pulsar
Apache Pulsar is a cloud-native, distributed messaging and streaming platform that manages trillions of events per day. The Pulsar community has witnessed rapid growth since it became a top-level Apache project in 2018. In the past two years, the community growth has accelerated. In fact, in May Apache Pulsar hit 400 contributors and surpassed Apache Kafka in the number of Monthly Active Contributors.
StreamNative is the organizer of Pulsar Summit North America 2021. Founded by the original developers of Apache Pulsar, the StreamNative team is committed to the Pulsar community. As the core developers of Pulsar, the StreamNative team is deeply versed in the technology, the community, and the use cases. The StreamNative team's unmatched operational experience on Pulsar and BookKeeper is now available to you through StreamNative Cloud and StreamNative Platform.